The new cable

Most of you already know about the cable incidence. Those who don't, check that out before you further read this post.

Yesterday I finally decided to buy the 'original' JVC cable which came for 350 bucks. But this time, I was a man who had learned from his past mistakes. I took my laptop along. And asked them to let me check if the cable fit properly. Well, they didn't mind me doing that. And well, the cable fit.

The first thing that I did after reaching home was to connect the video-camera to the laptop using this new 4pin-4pin firewire cable. The camera detected it, but the laptop still didn't. Now, this was too much. This was frustrating. Since the camera detected it perfectly each time I would connect, the cable couldn't possibly be bad. So the problem lied with my laptop.

A long-tiresome-frustrating internet research began which started yesterday and continued till I decided to give up a few moments ago (sitting in office). Many many people out there have faced similar problems. Their laptop doesn't detect their cameras when connected by firewire cables. Only few claimed that trying out different cables solved their problems but for most of them, the fault was never with the cable. Out there, I could find a lot of frustrated people, (like I am right now) who could do nothing but give up.

A stupid thing is that I already have done this video transfer from camera to computer. I know that it works. So I am all the more frustrated that right now, when I so desperately want to edit videos, this whole damn thing is not working out for me. Eh, too much! The last time I did the video transfer, I didn't have a laptop though. I had a regular desktop. The CPU did not have a firewire card by default. So I had to buy one separately when I purchased the camera. It was a firewire card with two 6-pin slots and came with a free 4pin-6pin cable (the 4pin end would go into the camera and the 6pin end would go into the firewire card). And it had worked amazingly well then. The video quality that I had got was really really awesome.

Today is the first time that I am disappointed with my Dellruba. I was so happy (while ordering her) to know that, she came with an inbuilt firewire card. I didn't know that this card won't have a six pin slot like the one that I got for my CPU. Dellruba had a 4pin slot, exactly like the camera. So the earlier 6pin-4pin cable was of no use. And now finally after having 270+350 bucks on buying a 4pin-4pin cable (and blogging about it), I still CANNOT transfer videos!

For the time being, I will continue to transfer using USB cable. Something is better than nothing. And anyways, my readers wont be able to notice much difference in the video quality because on youtube, you anyways don't get great quality (ah, what a nice way of consoling myself).

4 Comments:

  1. dhruv said...
    How does the quality differ if it is transferred via Firewire? I'm confused!
    amrit said...
    The quality depends on the transfer speed. The firewire cable supports a transfer rate of 400 MBPS (800 ones are also available these days). The USB cable supports a transfer rate of something less than 50 MBPS.
    dhruv said...
    really? am not completely sure... generally the file is transferred bit per bit. it can't happen that transfer speed affects the _already recorded_ quality of the video. the file is the same as it was stored on the digicam whether its transferred at 10Mbps / 100Mbps or 1 Gbps...
    amrit said...
    What you are saying would have held true if I had a digicam. What I have a is a miniDV camcorder. The video is recorded on a miniDV tape. It isn't in digital format. So an analogue to digital conversion has to take place when I transfer the video to comp. And for that, the transfer rate determines the quality. Of course, the maximum quality possible depends on the camera itself.

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.